Arm Yourself with Knowledge
Whether you choose Colorado Security Company or not, we want to make sure you get the absolute best security solution for your money. That’s why we’re offering this security system buyers guide to you, no strings attached.
We’ve been in the business of home security for over ten years. We’ve seen the good, the bad and the ugly. Let us share some essential tips and important questions to ask in order for you to make a well-informed and confident decision on how best to protect yourself, your family and your belongings.
Helpful Tips When Choosing a Security Company
#1 – Know What You Want
This one may seem like a no-brainer, but we often meet people who don’t have a clear picture of the security system they’re looking for. They know they want to secure their home, but they haven’t looked into what types of equipment or plans would give them the most peace of mind. That’s not necessarily a bad thing, but you could end up getting the wrong solution.
Nobody likes to carve out time in their busy lives to do research, but when it comes to your safety isn’t it worth a little effort? Focus on how a security solution would best fit your lifestyle. Do you live alone and travel a lot? Do you have a large household with with people constantly coming and going? Do you have expensive items in your home? Starting a conversation with these things in mind will keep you from getting sold into a system that doesn’t meet your needs.
#2 – Know Your Home
Taking a moment to assess your home before you talk to potential vendors is immensely valuable. Even though you’re not an expert in vulnerable points of entry, you can still add a lot of value to a professional home assessment. Why? Because you live in your home so you know it better than anyone else.
Things to keep in mind as you self-assess your home are:
- How many doors and windows are on the ground floor?
- Are you in a quiet or a high traffic neighborhood?
- How visible is your house from the street or your neighbors’ homes?
- Is the backyard or garage easily accessible?
- What are the crime statistics in your area?
#3 – Shop Around
When we talk to potential customers, we actually encourage them to get a few other quotes from competitors. Why? Well, quite frankly there are a lot of options out there and you need to feel completely comfortable with your choice. A home security company is more than just a one-time service provider. They will be the people you call if you move, want to upgrade, or need any advice.
It’s a relationship that will likely endure for quite some time, so make sure the business has an ongoing commitment to customer service and not a a fly-by-night operation or door-to-door company with no local presence. Five years from now you will be glad you took some time to make sure you are with your perfect home security partner.
#4 – Consider Who’s Installing Your System
You’re letting them into your home after all. Make sure that a company’s install technicians are carefully selected and adequately trained. Is the company insured and certified to install systems in your area? Find out how long installation should take and what the activation and training part of the install looks like. The last thing you want is to feel like the most critical step in the process wasn’t their best work.
We want to be clear that most security companies out there are fair and honest. They employ skilled professionals and do a great job installing your system. However, there are some bad apples in the market. A little due diligence now will save you a lot of trouble later.
Questions to Ask a Security System Provider
Here are some questions you may want to ask to ensure you partner up with the right company. You don’t necessarily need to ask them all. Pick the ones that feel most important to you. Just being curious and asking even a few questions should give you a good sense of who you’re working with.
- Are you a local business?
- How long have you been in business?
- How many installations have you done?
- Are you licensed to install systems in this area?
- Are you insured and certified?
- Do you keep your equipment in stock or do you have to order it?
- Do you offer a satisfaction guarantee?
- Do you back your equipment with a warrantee?
- What are the basic features of the system? Intrusion, fire, severe weather, life safety?
- What kind of sensors do you have available? Door, window, glass break, motion detection, image capture, flood and freeze?
- Will the system require power from the home?
- How does the system communicate with the monitoring service?
- Does the system have smash and crash protection?
- Can I remotely control my system?
- How easily can I expand or upgrade my system later?
- Who is the monitoring service provider, and how are they rated?
- Can I easily take my system with me if I move?
- What are your installation fees? Ho much are service calls or trip fees?
- How much do you mark up the price of your equipment?
- Is the quote/estimate indicative of my total cost or are there other fees I should know about?
- Are your monthly plan prices fixed, or are they subject to change in the future?
- If my equipment needs service in the future, what are your fees to have someone come back out to my house?
Ready to Get Started?
We hope you found this Security System Buyers Guide helpful. If you have any questions about picking the right system please call us at (720) 689-2234 or fill out the form below and we’ll get back to you right away. You can also get a head start and enter some information for a free custom quote by clicking this link.